Entering Canada - Canada Customs Information
Border Crossing to British Columbia - Passing Through BC to Alaska
Non Resident Travel to US and US Citizens Returning Home

Border Crossing Information


Due to the Covid-19 Situation, policies regarding travel to Canada both for Canadians and for Non-Canadians are changing almost daily.

Please refer to the following links for the most recent information:

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel advice

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel advice for Canadians

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak update

COVID-19 Information Canada US Embassy & Consulates in Canada

Canada Border Services Agency

CBSA is implementing screening measures at all points of entry to Canada. The main thing is to expect a possible quarrantine of 14 days if you are singled out as a potential risk of either having symptions or coming from a region that has a high rate of infection.


Update March 18

Borders are now closed to all non residents. Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada only. There are exceptions to those deemed essential. In other words no vacation travellers. Please watch the CBSA website for updates. It will take some time to get all the appropriate information available online.



The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

US Customs and Border Protection

International Travel: Resource Library (US)

U.S. Passport office: For details on obtaining a U.S. passport or a passport card, www.travel.state.gov or 877-487-2778.

How To Get a Passport in a Hurry
Kanetix Itinerary Planner - Travel Insurance for US citizens.

Washington enhanced driver's license: www.dol.wa.gov/.  Phone 866-520-4365 to make an application appointment.

British Columbia Enhanced Driver's Licence The enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) is an inexpensive, convenient option for Canadian citizens and residents of BC driving across the border.

Department of Homeland Security: For more details on the new passport requirement, see www.dhs.gov/.

Canadian Immigration: www.cic.gc.ca

U.S. Custom & Immigration: www.cbp.gov or www.customs.com

Canadian Air Transport Authority : http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/

Application for Rehabilitation for those with past criminal records wanting to enter Canada.

Customs and Immigration officials from both the United States and Canada are now required to inspect all vehicles, trains, buses and airlines for contraband and for immigration purposes. Visitors or returning Canadian Citizens are required to know what documentation they need ( receipts for all purchases of goods being transported) and there is a list of items that cannot be taken across the border (such as certain meats, all plants and all fruits). This list changes freqently.

Non Americans in Canada - Consular Services- Information on entering the United States for Non Americans.

Note: Increased security is resulting in longer delays at entry points to Canada and United States. Please allow plenty of time for crossing border points.

Firearms -  Permits must be obtained to import firearms for competitions and for transit to Alaska.  See Canada Firearms Service for details.   Many weapons are restricted.  Please check with Customs before you arrive at the border, or you may be refused entry or have your weapons confiscated.

Money and Taxes

The Canadian monetary system is based on dollars and cents. US money is accepted at the current exchange rate. All establishments accept US dollars at slightly lower rates than banks. Be sure to check at the cashier before making any purchases for the daily rate. Traveller's cheques are the safest to carry money and are accepted by banks and major establishments. To get the best rate when exchanging currency, it is recommended that visitors use one of the chartered banks, or currency exchanges. Visitors from other countries should exchange enough money prior to departure if possible to allow time to get to a currency exchange. Use Credit Cards wherever possible. Note that many establishments accept only VISA or Master Card. Hotels will generally accept a wider range of cards. Most banks will have branches open on Monday to Saturday and there are ATM's at many locations throughout BC. Most 24 hour convenience stores have an ATM, but will charge a service charge on each transaction ranging from 1.50 to 3.00. Many shops and hotels now have online credit card validation with debit (bank) card capability.

BC is on Pacific Daylight Time from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November. the same as west coast of US. The clocks are advanced 1 hour from Pacific Standard Time. There are five time zones in Canada. Remember that the rest of the country is ahead of BC. If travelling to Toronto or Montreal, remember to set your watch forward three hours.

Currency Converter


General Clothing

BC's weather can change at a moment's notice due to the proximity to the Pacific Ocean. Vancouver and Victoria are generally casual , but there are many places where a jacket and tie are appropriate. For summer visiting, lightweight comfortable clothing will do. In spring, summer and fall, a lightweight jacket may be useful for coastal regions. Inland and northern areas will be somewhat colder. However in winter, a warm coat, gloves, boots and definitely an umbrella are necessary. For evening, people will dress up and some places do have dress codes.

General Information

The use of seat belts, child restraints and motorcycle and bicycle helmets are mandatory in B.C. It is illegal to drive while using a mobile phone or other hand-held device, including GPS systems.  You must do this while parked.  Voice activated devices while driving are ok.

For full details see Driving in British Columbia

Canada uses the Metric System (International Systems of Weights and Measures). Weather is given in degrees Celsius, ( double the degrees F and add 30 and you are pretty close). Gasoline is sold by the liter. ( 4 liters is just over a US gallon) Grocery items are in grams ( 453 Grams = 1 Pound) and kilograms ( 2.2 pounds) fabric is sold by the meter ( 1 yard is .9 meter) and road speeds are posted in kilometers ( 30 miles per hour is 50k - Multiply the k times 6 and drop the last 0 and you are close). The standard 120v/60c voltage electricity is used.

Public Holidays

New Years Day - January 1
Good Friday - Friday before Easter
Easter Sunday - Sunday following the first full moon after Vernal Equinox
Easter Monday - Not an official holiday, but many places are closed
Victoria Day - Third Monday in May
Canada Day - July 1
BC Day - first Monday in August
Labour Day - first Monday in September
Thanksgiving - second Monday in October
Remembrance Day - November 11
Christmas - December 25
Boxing Day - December 26

BC Travel Main Page

Visits:  215652